Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Weekend That Was

It's been an (almost) great weekend.

Audrey called me tonight while I was in my Daily O sports section meeting and left me a voice mail that pretty much summed it up.

"It was potentially the greatest sports weekend of our lives... Then the Cowboys played..."

This has become the story of my life the last couple of weeks.

First, Texas A&M handles Baylor and all order is restored in the world. If Baylor had somehow knocked the Ags off in College Station, I'm pretty sure the administrators would have closed the school. But the 'ol "Wrecking Crew" came through, and Ryan Tannehill came through.

Speaking of Tannehill, I'd like to issue an apology to the quarterback. I was among the Tannehill haters coming into last year when Jerrod was pulled. Jerrod was one of my favorite Aggies to ever play behind Dat Nguyen, Reggie McNeal and Jamaar Toombs (TOOOOOOOMBS!!!), and I think the fact that Tannehill had to come in and replace him is why I didn't like the guy.

I saw him as a conservative quarterback, and once called him an SEC quarterback (go figure...). He never slung the ball around like the rest of the Big 12, but he's coming into his own now. Had he played against Nebraska and OU last year like he did against Baylor this weekend, the Ags would've won by 50. So Ryan, if you're reading this, my bad buddy. My bad.

Then, Oklahoma State played. Blah. That's all I have to say about it. It was a good game because of the outcome, but not a great game. I thought the play-calling was sub-par, Weeden was about a step off and our special teams were suspect as usual. However, I was impressed with the defense. They locked down and only TRULY gave up about 10 points. Well done, Pokes.

Side note: As I put on twitter yesterday, Jamie Blatnick (defensive end, #50) is one of the scariest guys I have ever met and seen play. Next time you see an Oklahoma State game, watch him. He's a freak.

Finally, the Rangers took the field and sent the Tigers back to Detroit with their tails between their legs. Between a 9 run third inning and a steady flow of run support after that, the Rangers Cruz'd (pun intended) into their second straight World Series appearance, which will be played with what looks like the St. Louis Cardinals.

Take care of business this time, boys.

The weekend was great... Or should I say, the Saturday was great.

And just like Audrey said on my voicemail -- "Then the Cowboys played."

No comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment