Monday, October 3, 2011

First Set of College Football Predictions

I don't like predictions.

They only go one of two ways -- You looking good, or you looking bad.

That being said, I've had some success in the prediction department.

I called Mavs in 6, Rangers to the World Series (Although my series prediction didn't prove true), and even last week in College Station. As the clock hit 0:00 for halftime, Audrey Ryon, my "date", turned to me and said "Is that worry I see on your face?"

I smirked, and answered "Nope, just wait until the second half."

Due to a pact with Ms. Ryon, that is the last I will be speaking of the OSU vs. A&M game, but to clear things up, I will simply say we won. Go Pokes.

But back to business, this will be my first set of College Football predictions for the season. It will include a few big games left on the schedules, conference championships, and the national championship.

Big Games
Alabama over LSU.
I think Alabama is "The team" this year. LSU has played incredible on the road early this season, but Tuscaloosa is a completely different story. Last year, Auburn went in and dug out of a big hole to come out on top, and I don't see the Tide letting that happen again. The problem with LSU is that the quarterback situation. They're questioning Jarrett Lee, who won three tough road games for them, and with the return of Jordan Jefferson, I can see Les Miles trying to make that situation work and having it blow up in his face in the end. Especially in Tuscaloosa.

Wisconsin over Michigan State & Ohio State 10/22 & 10/29
Wisconsin has to go to the horseshoe, but I don't see much resistance this year. The media will hype this game up just because it's "THE Ohio State", but Wisconsin's true test will be the week before against Michigan State. This will be a tradition game, but I see Wisconsin finishing off the MSU/OSU two step wonderfully, especially due to neither of the opponents

Oregon over Stanford 11/12
Stanford doesn't have the firepower Oregon does. It'll be a track meet that Oregon wins easily, especially after having so many "tune up" games before.

Oklahoma State over Oklahoma 12/3
Call me a homer, I don't care. I genuinely think this is the year. OSU is loaded on offense, and the defense shows up when it needs to. Look at the second half of the A&M game, the Cowboys defense completely took Cyrus Gray and Christian Michael out of the game. They also forced Tannehill, widely regarded as a conservative passer, into a handful of turnovers. That amount of defense will be enough for OU, who looks good when they line up against Ball State and beat them by 80 points, but struggled against true opponents such as Florida State and Missouri. And don't forget, Florida State was in Tallahassee... Don't forget where Bedlam is. I'll give you a hint, it rhymes with Stillwater.

Conference Champions
Big 10- Wisconsin
Big East- Pittsburgh
ACC- Clemson or Florida State
Big 12- Oklahoma State
SEC- Alabama
Pac 12- Oregon
Who cares- Boise State

National Championship
Alabama over Wisconsin
This is a tough one. I think these are the two best teams in America because they've built their football team the right way. I was just talking with Harrison, and I said that a football team is only as good as their offensive and defensive lines, and that is the case here. Alabama has some of the most athletic lineman in the nation, and Wisconsin's offensive line may be as good as their Green Bay Packer neighbors. I've gotta give the edge to Bama though, their defense will get it done, as well as the diversity they face all year in the SEC.

My Top 10 Teams in the Nation (Not taking into account the time of their losses, one of the biggest flaws of the BCS and the main reason OK State wasn't in a BCS bowl last year)
1- Alabama
2- LSU
3- Wisconsin
4- Oklahoma State
5- Oklahoma
6- Clemson (I'm a believer!)
7- Oregon
8- Texas A&M (Losses are due to coaching, not to talent level)
9- Stanford
10- Georgia Tech (They're the truth this year)

That's all I've got. I'll revisit this in a few weeks when all of my top 10 teams have lost and the college football landscape is completely different.

But then again, isn't that why we love this sport?

Go Pokes and Go Rangers, that's all folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment