Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 In Review

I would first like to say Happy New Year to all of my readers, I hope you all have a fun and safe night, and keep every resolution you attempt to begin tomorrow.

Now, let's review this past year and what all went down in sports. I started this last year, and know that everyone posts their cheesy lists, but I cut the cheese and get straight to the point.

So, without further adieu, here are my Top 5 moments of 2011.


Number 1: World Champions
We finally did it. I've watched the Mavericks since they seemed to go 0-82 back in my elementary years, and never thought I'd see the day. But I finally did, and Cuban hoisting the trophy paired with Dirk raising the MVP trophy was the best image of 2011.



Number 2: The Rushing of the Field
I was moving between the press box and the roof of Boone Pickens Stadium for the Bedlam game (December 3), and it was incredible. I got to sit back and watch everything and soak it all in, and it was the craziest atmosphere I had ever seen. Then, with four minutes to go in the game I moved down to the walkway between the field and Gallagher-Iba arena, and watched as the sea of orange flooded the field like a tsunami of fanatical, long-awaited happiness. I saw them tear down the goal posts and move them through the crowd as people hung off of them, everyone rejoicing in the schools first ever Big 12 Championship. Then, we went to Washington Street afterwards, home of "The Strip" and witnessed the celebration there as well. Incredible night.


Number 3: Back to Back American League Champions
Highlighted by Nelson Cruz' boomstick, the Rangers raised another AL Championship trophy and another AL Championship banner. Unfortunately, they couldn't finish it off (again) in the World Series, but it was another great year and another huge step taken towards being a major MLB power.


Number 4: Pack Attack
Before 2011, Aaron Rodgers was only known as "The quarterback who fell really far in the draft." He is now known as World Champion, and led an injury-stricken Packers squad to their first Super Bowl in a long time.


Number 5: The Rise to Dominance
Not exactly a moment, but the entire year was incredible for Cam Newton. He started it off by winning the National Championship in January, then followed that up by being the first pick in the NFL draft. Now, he has broken two rookie quarterback records (One held by Peyton Manning) and is becoming ONE OF the best quarterbacks in the leagues (YES, I said it!). Cam is a star and a role model, and the NFL needs him to do exactly what he's doing. Imagine what he would be doing if DeAngelo Williams was having a year like he did in '09. Can you say "Playoffs"?

Happy new year, hope it's a safe one!

No comments:

Post a Comment