Monday, January 9, 2012

Thoughts on the National Championship

Regardless of the last post, I would like to congratulate the Alabama Crimson Tide on winning the National Championship.

Here are my 5 thoughts on the game.

Number 5: How sad was it to see Marquis Maze go down with an injury? He's been a mainstay in their receiving corps for years, and had to play second fiddle to Julio Jones for most of his career. He finally gets his team to the National Championship and goes down with a hammy. Then the shot of him crying on the sideline? I can't imagine. Thoughts are with him, as well as C.J. Mosley, who looks like he went down with a broken leg.

Number 4: I've got to give my props to A.J. McCarron, he played really well. He moved his team into field goal range seven (SEVEN!) times on that incredible LSU defense. 23/34 for 234 yards is incredible against the Tigers.

Number 3: Where was Tyrann Mathieu? 1 punt return for 1 yard (on 3 punts) and no tackles that I know of. I saw a post on facebook that explained it best: "Maybe the Honey Badger gave a sh*t tonight."

Number 2: Trent Richardson is an absolute man. When Mark Ingram was there, I considered him the "speed back" of the duo, but tonight is the first time I've really seen him play. The dude is a punisher, and every time he touched the ball it seemed like his goal was to knock out one of the tacklers.

Number 1: I said it way back when Jordan Jefferson got all charges cleared from his bar fight. I said that the downfall of LSU will be if Les Miles tries to share Jefferson and Jarrett Lee's time at quarterback. Jarrett Lee had led the team through a treacherous early-season schedule (Knocking off 3 ranked teams in his first 4 games), yet Les Miles still felt like Jordan Jefferson presented just as good of a threat at quarterback. Les Miles trying to get Jordan Jefferson going instead of sticking with Jarrett Lee is the reason he doesn't have a 2012 National Championship trophy in his arms right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment